Baked cheese mummies
Mmmm, these baked cheese mummies look spookily scrummy! Just beware… they’ll all be devoured within the hour!
2 sheets puff pastry
14 mini Babybel® cheeses (wax removed)
⅓ cup honey or your favourite jam
Egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 1 tsp water
28 candy eyes or mini chocolate chips
Preparation: 10min › Cook: 20min
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Place the puff pastry sheets on a counter dusted with flour. Roll the sheets into a rough 11-inch square. No need to get out a ruler; it's fine to estimate. With a pastry cutter or sharp knife, cut each sheet into 9 squares. Reserve 4 of these squares for the mummy bandages.
- Drizzle the top of each cheese with some honey (or jam) and lay them, honey size down, on the puff pastry squares. Using the pastry cutter (or knife), cut the edges of the squares, making a circle.
- Fold the pastry over each cheese, forming a neat package, using your fingers to gently press the edges together. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down.
- Cut around 12 strips (bandages) out of the 4 remaining squares. Wrap the strips around each cheese, stretching and trimming as needed.
- Brush the mummies all over with the egg wash and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the mummies are golden brown.
- Decorate with the candy eyes or mini chocolate chips and serve warm!
Note: The mummies can be assembled and kept refrigerated for up to a day before baking and serving. Brush with egg wash just before baking.
Recipe courtesy of oliviascuisine.com