Carrot cake bran muffins
These muffins are full of warm, cosy flavours and perfect for lunchboxes. They’re about as soft and tender as cupcakes too! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all purpose (plain) flour
- 2 cups oat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- grated rind of one orange
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- ½ cup chopped walnts
- Preheat oven to 170°C and line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl, add brown sugar, and oil and mix well.
- Mix in the bran, cinnamon, and ginger. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the bran mixture alternately with the milk, stirring well between each addition.
- Spoon mixture carefully into muffin tins, filling them about half full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out without any batter clinging to it.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe inspired by April J Harris