Revisit your childhood with this classic that everyone will find too hard to resist!
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 packet onion soup mix, we used Maggi
375ml evaporated milk
¼ cup cream
1 tsp mustard powder
2 cups grated cheese (be generous)
½ lemon, zest and juice
1 sprinkle grated nutmeg
1 loaf white sandwich bread, sliced
1 knob butter, melted to brush rolls
- In a saucepan mix together onion, onion soup mix, evaporated milk, cream, mustard powder, grated cheese, lemon zest, a grind of black pepper and a grate of nutmeg.
- Gently heat and stir to melt cheese and thicken.
- Remove from heat, add the lemon juice and leave to cool 5 minutes.
- Generously spread on to slices of fresh white bread.
- Roll into thirds, brush with butter and toast in a sandwich maker (set so it doesn't squash them), until golden and just bursting. You can also bake them in the oven, seam side down.