Revisit your childhood with this classic that everyone will find too hard to resist!
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 packet onion soup mix, we used Maggi
375ml evaporated milk
¼ cup cream
1 tsp mustard powder
2 cups grated cheese (be generous)
½ lemon, zest and juice
1 sprinkle grated nutmeg
1 loaf white sandwich bread, sliced
1 knob butter, melted to brush rolls
- In a saucepan mix together onion, onion soup mix, evaporated milk, cream, mustard powder, grated cheese, lemon zest, a grind of black pepper and a grate of nutmeg.
- Gently heat and stir to melt cheese and thicken.
- Remove from heat, add the lemon juice and leave to cool 5 minutes.
- Generously spread on to slices of fresh white bread.
- Roll into thirds, brush with butter and toast in a sandwich maker (set so it doesn't squash them), until golden and just bursting. You can also bake them in the oven, seam side down.
Recipe created for Bite by Warren Elwin
For a printable version of this recipe click here!