Easter bunny pikelets
These cute little pikelets are really basic to make but quite fun and easy for toddlers and small children to assemble and decorate. Perfect for breakfast on Easter morning!
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
1 cup (250ml) buttermilk (or milk with a squeeze of lemon)
1 tbsp caster sugar (optional)
zest of one orange
2 tbsp vegetable oil
one orange (segmented)
- To make the pikelet batter, combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and whisk until smooth. Set aside for half an hour.
- Heat a little of the vegetable oil in a large non-stick saucepan and cook tablespoon-sized dollops of the batter at a time.
- To serve, place one pikelet in the centre of a plate, cut another in half and arrange the halves as ears (see photo). Decorate with the yoghurt, blueberries and orange segments.
- You can decorate these little bunnies with pretty much any fresh fruit or even sweets. Grapes also make good ‘eyes’. Another option is to make large pikelets and then use a bunny-shaped biscuit cutter to make fun Easter-shaped treats.
- Swap the orange rind with a little cinnamon or other sweet spice.
Recipe created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot