Easy homemade mac and cheese
This favorite kid friendly mac and cheese recipe is easy to make and a tasty alternative to processed boxed mac ‘n' cheese that even picky kids love.
Serves: about 12, so you can half it if you don't need that much.
1 (16 oz) box of elbow macaroni
10 tablespoons butter, divided
1/3 cup flour
3 cups milk
12 oz cheese – any kind you prefer
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
Preparation: 15min › Cook: 30min › Ready in: 45min
- Cook macaroni noodles and drain.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a saucepan, melt 1 stick (8 TB) butter over medium heat.
- Stir flour into melted butter then slowly add milk, stirring.
- Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the burner and add the cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Add the elbow macaroni noodles and mix well.
- Turn into a large casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons melted butter, 4 tablespoons bread crumbs, and a dash of pepper.
- Sprinkle over the mac 'n cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of livingwellmom.com
For a printable version of this recipe click here