Easy Mexicali lasagne
Here’s a take on the classic Italian lasagna using your everyday Mexican favourites like chilli beans and tortillas. Yum!
500g lean beef mince
1 onion, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
420g can chilli beans
1Tbsp tomato paste
420g can tomatoes (Mexican flavour)
2Tbsps finely chopped parsley
3 large tortillas
250g cottage cheese
1 cup grated mozarella (or any hard cheese)
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 180°C and lightly grease a round 23cm shallow ovenproof dish.
- Heat a dash of oil in a non-stick frying pan and brown mince. Add onion and capsicum and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in chilli beans, tomato paste and canned tomatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Spread a third of the cooked mince and bean mixture over the bottom of the ovenproof dish and lay one tortilla on top.
- Spread a third of the cottage cheese over the tortilla then sprinkle with a third of each of the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Repeat twice more so you have three layers.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is golden.
Recipe courtesy of Food in a minute