Elmo and Bert sandwiches
Try this sandwich as a yummy addition to any kid's lunch box.
- filling of choice
- 2 slices wholemeal bread with side crusts removed
- 1 slice white bread cut into 2 x 3cm circles (for the ears)
- salty seaweed for hair and eyebrow (cut with scissors)
- 1 sliced disc of carrot (for the nose)
- 1 slice of ham or salami with a section cut off (for the mouth)
- half a tomato
- 4 x 1.5cm circles cut from cheese slices (for eyes)
- 2 x raisins, halved (for the pupils)
- 1 sliced triangle of carrot (for the nose)
- a C shape cut out of cucumber (for the mouth)
- Spread your filling of choice onto the round white bread disc and place the second on top.
- Cut the circles in half to form the 2 ears.
- Spread your filling onto one of the wholemeal slices and place the second on top.
- Using cream cheese, glue the features onto Bert’s face.
- Halve a tomato (with base cut so that it sits flat).
- Place cheese discs with raisins for eyes, a triangle of carrot for the nose and a stamped ‘C’ shape out of cucumber for the mouth.
- Use a favourite filling such as tuna and cream cheese, chicken and mayo or ham and cheese.
- Use wholegrain breads with seeds to give an extra vitamin hit.
Recipe courtesy of Rebecca Perry for Kidspot Australia
For a printable version of this recipe click here!