Gourmet cheese dogs
A tasty gourmet spin on the usual hot dog!
6 honey and garlic (or your own favourite) sausages
2 baguettes or buns
7oz (200g) cheddar cheese, sliced
1/4 cup (60ml) fresh chopped herbs of your choice: basil, dill, cilantro or chives.
Corn relish ingredients:
2 cups (500ml) corn kernels
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 red or green capsicum, chopped
1/4 cup (60ml) white vinegar
3 tbsp (45ml) sugar
1/2 tsp (2ml) pickling spice
1/2 tsp (2ml) salt
1 tbsp (15ml) cornflour
Preparation: 15min › Cook: 25-30min › Ready in: 40-45min
- In a saucepan, mix corn relish ingredients together, except the cornflour.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer on medium-high heat for 10 min.
- Mix cornstarch in ¼ cup (60 mL) water. Stir into the saucepan and let mixture thicken. Remove from heat and let cool.
- To cook sausages, preheat grill to medium heat or oven to 425°F (220°C) and cook for 10–15 min, or until well done.
- If using baguettes, slice each lengthwise, open flat and top with cheese slices.
- Place on the grill or oven rack and heat until cheese melts. Remove from grill and cut into thirds to make buns.
- To serve, fill buns with sausages and garnish with corn relish and herbs of your choice.
Recipe courtesy of dairygoodness.ca
For a printable version of this recipe click here