Mini bacon and egg toast cups
These have to be one of the easiest recipes to whip up for the family. Mini bacon and egg toast cups can be eaten cold or hot and they’re great to put in school lunches, to take away for picnics, or for snacks and light dinner options.
12 slices of bread
2 rashes of crispy bacon fried and diced
1 tbsp milk
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup grated smoky cheese
A handful of chives to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F and prepare your mini muffin tray by lightly oiling it.
- Using a round cutter cut your bread into rounds and place the bread rounds in the prepared muffin trays.
- For best results lightly bake off the bread for about 4 minutes so it’s just lightly coloured. This will stop the bread from going soggy when you pour the egg mixture in. Set aside to cool.
- Fry the bacon so it’s crispy, then let it cool on kitchen paper before dicing.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the 2 eggs, milk, and salt and pepper and set aside.
- Sprinkle bacon over the bottom of the lightly baked bread cups.
- Using a large spoon, scoop the egg mixture evenly among the bread cups.
- Sprinkle a little grated cheese and chives on top.
- Bake for a further 12 – 15 minutes until the edges are nice and crispy, and the egg is just set.
Recipe courtesy of Kiwi Families