Welsh rarebit is a slightly enriched version of cheese toast but kids will probably enjoy this version of 'rabbit'.
Makes: 1 portion
1/3 cup grated cheddar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon cream or milk
2 or 3 drops Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
Pepper, to season
1 English muffin, split and lightly toasted
Peas, thin slices of carrot or snow peas, 1 black olive (pitted and halved), 1 spring onion a few fresh chives to garnish.
Preparation: 5min › Cook: 4min › Ready in: under 10 minutes
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Put the cheese, egg yolk, cream and Worcestershire sauce into a bowl and mash together.
- Season to taste with pepper.
- Spread the cheese mixture on the cut sides of the toasted muffin, spreading right to the edges.
- Place the cheese-topped muffin halves about 3 inches away from the heat source (one rack down from normal grilling position).
- Grill for 3 to 4 minutes, until the cheese has melted and is golden and bubbling.
- Decorate the cooked muffin halves with peas for eyes and strips of carrot or snow peas for ears, half an olive for a nose, chives for whiskers, and spring onion for teeth.
- Serve immediately.