Make homemade butter in minutes with this amazing and simple activity. Great for home or the classroom, or even as a party trick!
Glass jar with a lid
Pinch of salt (optional)
- Fill your jar half-way with cream.
- Pop the lid on, and start shaking.
- When the sloshing sounds stop, remove the lid, and check for whipped cream - you're getting there!
- Pop the lid back on, and continue to shake until the mixture separates into buttermilk and butter.
- Remove lump of butter (save the buttermilk for baking).
- Rinse butter under cold water, kneading any buttermilk out of the butter.
- Stir in a dash of salt if you wish.
Your butter won't keep for too long as there are no preservatives in it. If you're not eating all of it the first day, store in the fridge for another day or two.
Recipe courtesy of happyhooligans.ca
For a printable version of this recipe click here